Sunday, May 3, 2009

Snack Tickets

When my son was 4 years old, I realized if I did not come up with something, he was going to eat all day long.  I came up with the "snack ticket" method which has become a very structured, peaceful, independent, self-controlled life saver. I have used this system for years and it's been a huge hit during summer and weekends (or any other time my children are home and not in school).


I cut card size tickets out of construction paper and placed them in envelope pockets I found at a teacher supply store (sealing a letter size envelope and cutting in half will also serve the same purpose). I placed them on the refrigerator by sticking a magnet to the back. I gave them each 3 tickets with separate colors. When they get a snack, they remove a ticket. 


I did make a few rules...they are not allowed to eat junk food or right before a meal, and they can't use the ticket in place of a meal. I stock up on fruits, veggies, cheese sticks, cheese crackers, pretzels, yogurt, salsa, pudding cups, peanut butter, popcorn, granola bars, cheese squares, and pepperoni slices.



I placed a list on the frig of items that they may choice from. I have no problem with them choosing 2 items at a time - one big, one small.  During the school week, we limit snacks to just one.


I hope you enjoy this idea as much as I have!  May the peace of snacks be with you :) 




No comments: