Monday, June 1, 2009

Season Them With Salt

I started collecting specific scriptures from various parenting books so I can remind my children God's word in their attitudes, choices, and struggles. I bought index cards and placed them in a recipe box under certain categories~accepting correction, anger, arguing, idols, boasting, kindness, complaining, bad language, back talk, attitude, obedience, laziness, whining, and encouragement (Creative Correction by Lisa Whechel is an excellent resource).

I use the cards during my private time with God. I try to meditate on the scriptures so I am able to teach and train my children according to God's word.
Here are a few that might be helpful in getting you started~
Encourage others - Thess 5:1
Putting others first - Phil 2:3
Being positive with words - Eph 4:29; Col 4:6
Back Talk - Ps 19:14; Pro 21:23; Pro 15:4; Pro 15:1
Arguing - 1 Pet 3:9; Jam 3:18; Rom 12:10
Obedience - Eph 6:1; Jn 14:15
Lying - Ps 34:13; Pro 12:19; Pro 12:22
Whining - Phil 2:14-15; 1 Thess 5:18
Sharing - Pro 21:26
Speech - Jam 3:5
Gentleness - Eph 6:4; Eph 4:2
(If you have found that I have mistyped a scripture, let me know!)
"These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."~Deuteronomy 6:6-7

No comments: