Monday, January 10, 2011

Battlefield

I've been told to pick my battles with my children, but I think most battles matter with parenting because it builds Godly character.  Even the small things have teachable moments.  Being a mother carries all sorts! There are times my children should solve their own problems, but hopefully it will be the effect of taking time to "train up a child in the way they should go."

One thing I have learned as a parent is confessing my own mistakes to my children.  There are times my mood reflects my parenting.  I may raise my voice and become impatient, but raising my voice only causes short term obedience out of fear.  When I lose self-control, my children deserve the truth.  Seeking forgiveness from my children shows I am not perfect and I desire to go and make things right.

Everything matters in my battles.  I have the will to choose right from wrong just as my children do, but when I let things go, our foundations weaken and eventually break.  What I say, how I say it, and when I say it matters in everything.  Some battles end in just a few short sentences, others take several years to accomplish, but how I choose to participate in the battle builds my army while they live at home.

Train up a child in the way they should go, and when they are old they will not depart from it.
~Proverbs 22:6




  

No comments: